"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

First and second week came and went!

So technically my weekend starts on Thursday morning at 10:50, meaning my educational week is over. Bitchin!

Last week, I went to my classes and they were alright. I enjoyed the lectures a lot more than at VT, however there isn't really any work other than reading. I like to read, but this is just getting tedious. I have to start the second and third novel on the reading list already, and this is just the second week of classes. Other than that, my schedule is pretty relaxed. I only attend 8 classes, including lecture and seminars (which are recitations, basically).

Don't worry, folks. I have plenty of time to play. I may or may not be a British social butterfly. Ten times cooler than an American one.

On Friday, I got two freaking adorable dresses to wear when I go out and I am extremely happy with my purchases. Reasonable value was a plus! That night, wearing my new dress and confidence, I went to a club called "Space." I had a blast! I basically raged all night with the girls. This was the first time we've actually gotten to dance in a while.. needless to say, we were itchin' to get our groove on.

I do slightly regret going out though, because I planned a trip to Cambridge in the morning. To ensure that I actually woke up on time, the girls had a sleep over in Arielle's room. I took a coach bus at 8 AM and arrived in Cambridge around 10:45ish. The bus driver was pretty much a lunatic behind the wheel.

The first order of business was to get food. I hadn't eaten anything but a granola bar so I was starvin' like marvin. We went to a restaurant called "Fitzbillies." A bit pricy, but it was the best meal I've had ever. I ordered eggs benedict and I can't even begin to describe how wonderful it was. My mouth is watering thinking about it. Basically, it was a revelation on a plate. My new friend, Marion, ordered chocolate cake for breakfast.. I admire her audacity.

After breakfast, I toured around Cambridge and found some postcards and souvenirs for my family, which you all should be receiving soon. ish. Our group hadnt really planned anything in particular but we came across a punting tour. Now keep in mind, on this day I experience all seasons. One minute it was raining, the next it was snowing, and then it was all bright and cheery out. Luckily, when it came to be our time to start our punting tour, it stopped precipitating.

The first thing I saw when I got into the boat was a pair of swans. It was like being in a movie. I was just waiting for a knight to ride up on a horse, and with his gallantry and chivalry, sweep me off my feet. A girl can dream right?

I learned some pretty interesting things on this hour long tour. For example, scaling buildings is apparently a fad in Cambridge. The guide told us a story about two students who climbed to the top of the cathedral and placed a Santa Claus hat on each tower. They actually have clubs that teach people the easiest ways to climb the building, without being seen by others. Crazy!

If you want to know more about that tour, ask, because there is just too much to report back on.

After this trip, my pants were a tad wet so we ventured into the city and found a McDonald's. VICTORY. Why you might ask? Because there are automatic hand dryers. Oh yes, I dried my pants with hand driers. And no, I did not take them off.

I went into the Fitzwilliam Museum but couldn't even get through one section before we had to leave. Walking around aimlessly took up some time, in addition to the punting trip. However, we did make time to stop at a local patisserie and I ordered a scrum-diddly-umptious rum truffle. Ugh, so good.

That night we were supposed to go to the university's traffic light party. For those who don't know what that is, people who are single wear green, complicated relationships wear yellow, and taken individuals wear red. But after a night of raging, not enough food, and walking all day in multiple weathers, I was just too pooped to think of going out. So a few of us ordered in Chinese and watched Year One. CLASSIC, yet slightly disturbing.

On Valentine's Day, which is not really a big deal here, I handed out my CareBear cards to some international students. They were pretty cheesy, but isn't that what Vday is all about? Besides, we celebrated the Chinese New Year and had Chinese food for dinner (after a grueling morning of doing laundry in a dirty closet. Brits give away jobs for anything, but they cant keep a maintenance staff on hand.).

I felt weird because I wore leggings and my Phi Sigma Pi sweatshirt. That's the closest to nothing I ever want to be wearing while in public on laundry day.. Terrible news.

Last night, I went to Babylon: 90's bar. Holy crow! The Macarina, Barbie Girl, Green day, beautiful music! All night. This night was by far my most favorite outing so far. Good music, good people, good drinks.. Ah, the drinks. I accidentally missed my classes today. I turned the light on and realized wow, that light makes me want to throw up. So I thought it was a wise choice to stay in and let my body rejuvenate itself.

This weekend, I'm planning a trip to hike the Peak District, also I'll be going to the Sheffield vs Sheffield Halam (rival) hockey game on Saturday. On Sunday, I want to go to a Viking Festival in South Yorkshire. Should be fun!

Strange facts that just came to mind: the birds only sing at night here. And it snows when it's sunny out. I've been getting addicted to European music. It's all I ever what to listen to. I'm obsessed with finding new bands. Listen to this song: "Fire" by Kasabian. My first European cold is almost gone. Really all it is now is a raw nose. Bloody awful, though! I did get a little homesick last week. I really miss talking to my siblings. The band Journey's song don't stop believing is huge here now. I'm not exaggerating. It's on the top 40 UK song list.

Love to you all.

Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment